View Single Post
Used User

I attended an open house today at Willhoit 356 Restoration in Long Beach. I viewed 3 cars that were currently bare metal and I got into a lengthy discussion with the in house painter. We were looking at lots of lead in the cars, some factory and some repair. All plastic had been removed.

However, the painter uses plastic filler in very small quantities and in very thin layers to finish the cars. The ones already painted and being assembled looked nothing short of fabulous. Willhoit's reputation and the number of show winners they have turned out are credentials enough.

So, the conclusion from one restorer is to leave any lead in good shape, prime with polyesther primer and finish the blocking of the car with polyesther filler. Anything more than a 32nd of an inch was worked out in the metal. BTW, they are not afraid to weld in new panels. About a fourth to a third of the cars ready for paint was new metal. And no acid dipping allowed. Just thought I'd throw those tidbits in.

There did not appear to be any loss in the value of these cars due to thye methods used. Quite a few 356 notables were present, they all can't be wrong.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)