View Single Post

Sports Car Market's "Collecting Porsche"

I got this in the mail today and it's a bit of a disappointment. I was expecting some new content and instead it's a compilation of older articles from SCM, with just an introduction by Martin himself. While there's a picture of Martin next to a 356, fact is the guy is an Italian car fan and doesn't know much about Porsches. Most of the book was actually written by Jim Schrager, SCM's Porsche editor.

In addition, the majority of the Porsches profiled are air-cooled (356s and 911s). The book seems on much less solid ground discussing water-cooled cars, from the 944 and 928 on up to Boxsters and 996s, and these models get much less detail written about them. From what I've read of his work, the air-cooled Porsches are Schrager's forte and preference, so maybe that's to be expected. The front-engined water-cooled cars really need a strong advocate. Wish they'd found someone else to write about these

Because the articles are old, some of the information is out of date regarding the Porsche market, but I was interested in some of the work done tracking price trends over the years the magazine has been in print.

If you've got a collection of old SCM's lying around, you're better off with those and needn't bother with the book. Otherwise, I'd say that it's value reference and entertainment value pales in comparison to Wayne's MBI books. They've been playing up Seinfeld's blurb on the book, but as a Porsche nut and an SCM subscriber, I doubt the book told him anything he didn't already know.

My $19.95 + 2 cents,
Emanuel
Old 01-30-2004, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)