View Single Post
PRO Motorsports

Quote:
Originally posted by Wil Ferch
Can I take a stab at this ???

For a dual-puprose car, I think a shock tower brace ( by itself) is of some...but little value. Why? Because severe side loading will :
-- compress the lower A-arm suspension bushings, if still rubber.
-- compress the upper shock mount bushings, if still rubber.

And the shock brace ties the *metal* shock towers together. See the picture? I think Chuck Mooreland even has a nice animated video he posted here.

To get fat ( or even *any*) tire to stick well at whatever suspension settings you choose ( always a compromise), maybe the best bet is to first go with non-compliant A-arm bushings ( Properly machined poly or polybronze), combined with a monoball top side for the shocks. Then...even later...go with a triangulated shock truss bar to tie the two pieces together..but now you're going for "finer cuts" on where the problem is, because the whole front suspension has more predictable geometry under load.

IMHO....

Wil Ferch
Wil, just wanted to point out that we're talking about the "rear" shock tower reinforcements here in regard to using coilovers. Not sure if you were aware of that.

But I agree about the front end, with exception to Cabs and Targas, which benefit from a strut brace by the chassis stiffening effect it provides.
Old 01-30-2004, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)