View Single Post
Automotive Monomaniac

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ZOANAS
So, the speed rating of the tire is apparently unimportant to some? Some choose to make their own judgements about the engineering of the tire, and whether it is safe to use in a way that is contradictory to the manufacturer's recommendations. I have no problem with that. I would say, however, that it is that very mentality that fills the list of Darwin Awards winners.

To all the "engineers" out there who know more than the manufacturers, I salute you, and encourage you to test your theories vigorously. The more of you that eliminate yourselves from the traffic jam, the less encumbered my commute becomes.
The ability to hold air (in itself) has nothing to do with the speed rating of the tire.

The speed rating of the tire is based on the ability of the carcass to sustain centrifical forces and heat over a period of time.

Assuming the carcass (including the tread, belts, and compound) are still intact, a tire that has been patched can still run 200 mph - safely. Common product liability lawsuits require tire manufacturers to error on the side of idiocy - hence their recommendation that repaired tires are not speed rated.

If a tire loses air at speed, it will quickly overheat and fail. I have never heard of a properly installed patch failing.

Last edited by Emission; 01-30-2004 at 08:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2004, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)