View Single Post

John,
Does the owner have documentation on the rebuild? I have fresh 2.7 and I think it can be a wonderful source of power IF all the issues are sorted out and the rebuild was properly done. If a person doesn't have good documentation then I'd be hesitant to trust them.
On the studs, it's less important that the studs were upgraded than it is to have the case time-certed or case-savered. A shop doing a PPI should be able to tell by looking at the engine if that was done. If you simply replace the studs, they are still in the soft magnesium case and can still pull. If the case-savers or timecerts are installed, it is much harder to pull a stud (case-savers being harder to pull than time-certs).

If you really want to know the details of what to look out for, I'd reccomend reading Wayne's rebuild book. He talks in depth about the issues with the 2.7s and how they should properly be dealt with.

Tensioner upgrade is good also and may show the person rebuilding it wanted to do it right the first time
Old 01-31-2004, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)