View Single Post

Talk me down from the ledge....a broken head stud.

I set out about three months ago I began planning my my winter projects. It started as a clutch replacement and it grew into a seal and gasket replacing frezy and upgrades like SSI's, Tensioners, Power Clutch, 2 in 2 out, and a couple of other things.

Today I am trying to keep the momentum going (I only get to work on it on alternating weekends) and I removed the injection system, and replaced all of the easy to access seals and gaskets. I pulled the engine cooler and about 15 minutes later after cleaning it and installing the new seals, I go to put the oil cooler back on and just sitting there waiting for me is a 2" piece of a stud. It's the lower one and it was resting nicely in the space that you can access when the oil cooler is removed. The nut is no where. There doesn't seem to be an obvious exit path for the nut so where the heck it went I have no clue.

What should I do now? Am I facing a total rebuild or is this going to be easier than I think? I was planning on doing a rebuild in 12-24 months or sooner should I mis a shift at the track.

Should I just leave it and tend to it later? I have read about people who have driven thousands of miles with broken studs.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)