Thread: Wheel bearings
View Single Post
Schleprock

Guys,

There's no fancy remover that I used to do the front bearings. I patiently tapped out the races with a punch and light hammer. Alternate side to side and don't rush. My later hubs have a couple of notches in them to allow for driving the races out. Apparently the earlier hubs do not. Still, they can be driven out carefully with a suitable tool. John Walker said so! But, if apprehensive, you can take them to a machine shop for a minimal fee i'm sure.

The races are supposed to be a precise press-fit and I remember one fella (maybe from Rennlist) saying that driving them out is sooooooo bad. But hey, what else are you to do? I think the discussion is posted in one of the links below.

The fancy tool I used was for reinstallation. It's a kit made by Lisle Co. for installing seals and races. It's only like $30 and gives you just the right size tapered adapter for driving in the new race. Got mine at PepBoyz.

Just do what others said for installation and warm the hubs, freeze the new races. The races go in much nicer than they come out. Except when you get a substandard race like my buddy Mark did and then tools and expletives start 'a flyin'.......

Here's a couple of threads for reference:

Mechanic puched my hubs! %@#(&$

Front wheel bearing races
Old 01-31-2004, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)