View Single Post

It is confirmed.
Upon further inspection, I found a very obvious ring in the fan. If you look at the pictures above, you can see it. It looks like the woodriff key was free and rested on the bottom of the fan. As the fan spun, it just slid around in there. I think it's a miracle it didn't get into the alternator. This also explains why the woodriff key wouldn't go back into the shaft goove this evening.

So, it goes back together tomorrow morning. Also, I discovered why the air guide wasn't sitting flat against the shroud. In my infinite Porsche wisdom, I mounted the alternator one hole too far to the left and the voltage regulator was binding just a tad and wouldn't allow the air guide to seat properly.

I only listened to the pipe for a few minutes so I'll have to report more tomorrow.

Pics will soon follow.

The flux-core wire made a bit of a mess. It splattered a whole lot, but other than that it was ok. I think I prefer the solid core, as it seemed "hotter" and easier to get a puddle going.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)