View Single Post

Rear Torsion Bar Tube Replacement

Has anyone ever replaced the entire rear torsion bar tube on a early 911?

The rear torsion bars in my '69 911S hotrod are stuck and will not come out. Seriously.... they WILL NOT. See here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/146518-stuck-rear-torsion-bars-post1148112.html#post1148112

So.....

The only choice I see is to have the entire rear torsion bar tube cut out and a new one welded in place. The obvious questions:

1. Where you can you buy a replacement full torsion tube?
2. Does anyone know a shop in Atlanta with the proper factory jigs to ensure the new torsion tube is properly installed. Im guessing that alignment is going to be pretty dang critical. I have a welder.... but it would seem that if the tube is not absolutely perfectly aligned, the entire rear suspension will be a mess.
3. Any idea how much getting this tube replaced should cost?

Would I be better off attempting to find another chassis completely? I would almost rather just part this car out and be done with early 911s totally before doing that. I just spent 5 months totally restoring the entire front of the car and stripping / prepping the interior. The front suspension is totally new and looks brand new. Now I get this crap.....

Anyhow, Im not even sure if torsion tubes are available new? Having a used one cut out of a parts car would seem likely to result in just more problems.

Terry (seriously bummed out)
Old 02-01-2004, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)