View Single Post

Thanks for the input.

Leland, I have the engine out for a host of upgrades and regular maintainance type stuff. It's mounted on a stand already. CIS is off, heat exchangers are off, engine sheetmetal is all off, valve covers are off. I am not the kind to short change and skip steps to save time or money because it's just not worth it.

I guess my dilemma was whether or not it makes sense to rebuild the bottom end. I don't have any symptoms that would lead me in that direction but if just getting to the stud and replacing it is 80% of the job of a total rebuild then sure I will do the balance of the work and do the whole thing.

Not having done a rebuild before, I don't know if changing studs is 20% of the work of a full rebuild or 80% of a rebuild or something in between.

I try to ask as many questions as possible so I know what the options are. I didn't think that leaving the stud as is was really an option for me but I had heard of it before and I wanted to know what the others felt. I think consensus is that sure it'll run with a broken stud but it may cause problems down the road. I suspect those who leave them as is have the engine in the car and the thought of pulling it, etc is ominous.

Looks like I am leaning towards a full rebuild. I guess I just haven't dealt with the time commitment yet (or the money) but I will get over that soon.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)