View Single Post

zeke.... a huge comealong yanking on the end of the torsion bar so hard I thought it was going to rip the antiroll bar mount on the other end of the chassis out from the chain securing the car from being yanked off the jack stands. I applied THOUSANDS of pounds of pressure to the t-bar. I cannot fathom that t-bar ever coming out, unless it brings chunks of bodywork with it. Better to cut the body parts out than have them be ripped out destroying stuff on the way.

I thought about the heating idea. I could try it after I drop the engine/trans and remove the bananna arms (both of which I am doing next). I may set it back up with the comealong and try torqueing it again after heating the tube beet red..... but even then Im not sure its possible to get enough heat to the actual spline area deep within the tube to make any difference.

Any Atlanta guys know of a Porsche body shop capable of handling a torsion tube replacement job?

I thought of just going to rear coil overs..... problem is I have already purchased all the suspension parts. Also, that would mean leaving the torsion bars in place but cutting the end off.... I just couldnt live with such a crappy job on building this thing.

How is this for one last idea: I rig a chain up between the end of one torsion bar and a tree. Then I put a chain on the other torsion bar and attack the end to the frame under the back of my truck. With the engine/trans out of the car, I put it on jack stands and put the floor jack under it. Then, with some slack in the chain..... I put the truck in first gear, rev to 4000rpm and dump the clutch..... WHANG! I figure it would either yank the t-bar out, yank out the t-bar tube/destroy the chassis or break the chain. Fun either way. Would make a good video.

Terry
Old 02-01-2004, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)