View Single Post

Shiny new front pan

I am getting ready to rebuild my complete suspension but before I do I needed to replace my front suspension pan. I had some pretty good battery corosion and what I thought was a "little" rust. As you already know there is no such thing as a little rust....

Once I got the battery tray out I realized that the PVC undercoating can hide alot of problems.

Overall it wasn't bad. I drilled out all the spot welds except for the bottom seams which I used a grinder to cut out the spot welds. I removed all parts that were rusted and cleaned off all areas where I would weld. Then I dry fit the piece and measured bolt holes about 40 times to make sure it was in the exactly correct position. I then tacked it in place and double checked my measurements before I welded the new pan in place. (Don't laugh at my welds, I suck at welding but I did make sure they were hot enough to be strong.)

I coated the whole thing in POR15 and will clean it back off in the areas I plan to weld ih the batt tray. I also plan to spray a rubberized 3M undercoat on after it is all over.

Pat
Old 02-01-2004, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)