View Single Post

Garage
My Winter Projects Update 2 (long again)

Hi Guys.

If you've have not seen my last couple of threads on my P-car purchase and upgrades history, you can check them here;

So I bought a Porsche (very long) opinions please

My Winter Projects Update - like usual, long

So, further to my last posting, I thought I'd update you all on whats up with the car.

Engine Drop. I never imagined it was so easy! Since I had the exhaust off of the engine already (I was tempted to start it up with open headers, but I resisted) , I began disconnecting the following;

-BATTERY FIRST
-shift coupler
-Heater Blower Pipes
-electrical harness, O2 Sensor connector
-fuel lines
-oil breather hoses
-oil lines (hard and soft lines)
-starter connections
-speed sensor (from the gearbox)
-A/C compressor
-Sway bar

I loosened the 4 mount bolts and she was ready to drop. I had the car up on Jackstands on the rear torsion bars. I spent about 3 Hours disconnecting all this stuff. A note about the hard oil line, what a friggin ***** it is to get this thing off!! When Wayne suggested in his 101 book that this is usually a tuffy, I never expected to be this hard!! It took me an hour to get this one connection undone, without damaging this stupid pipe!! The Engine side of the pipe was much easier to do.

My Porchase Mechanic guru/friend came by my place the next day to assist with the droppage, using his 2 jack technique. He brought an 8mm allen socket to disconnect the halfshafts from thier connections with air tools, but the bit broke (actually shattered which is something Stu has never seen before), and we ended up undoing all 16 allen bolts by hand with an 8mm Allen key (another reletively hard thing to do). He used a jack to lift the shock a bit and then disconnected the axle, and pulled the shafted off. Once the shafts were off, and he did his look over and it was time to pull her out.

We used my hydrulic jack with a 4x4 wood block on it, and placed it directly behind the transmission mount, and from the side of the car, I was able to raise the rear of the car by another 60cm! Stu the used his jack and a really neat "cage" that he welded together that he uses to drop engines. He bolted on one side of the cage, directly to the gearbox which the halfshafts connected, and the bottom of this cage would directly into the front of his jack (I'll take pics and post what this thing looks like when we re-install). He jacked up the engine, undid the 4 bolts, I jacked up the car with my jack, and in a matter of 5 minutes, it was out! I missed one electrical connector, at the rear of the engine that we broke, but I have since repaired/epoxied this plastic harness together again. We put the engine up on jack stands, and Stu diconnected the transmissions in about another 5 minutes and took it away to fix my 1st gear problems. Total time spent, 1.5 Hours. Amazing!!

And the traditional shot of my son on the Engine compartment.

So now that I have it out, and the gearbox is gone with Stu, on to my projects. Valve Adjustment, Chain Tensioners, CAM Timing, and cleanup (with possibly some detailing and powder coating).

So I spent a few more hours taking off all the valve covers, chain housing, front fan assembly and alternator, and am now about to begin doing my part of the updates.

At this point, I am staring to feel abit overwelmed and under-motivated. Cleanup is going to be a bit of a job, and I'm dying to get this on the road. I can see spending a couple of days just cleaning it. Now I'm considering powerdercoating the fan and fan housing (I have seen few treads on colorful ones, but I'm thinking of powder coating it grey, like the late style engines).

Stu came by this weekend and brought his valve dial gauge this weekend (imperial dammit) and left it with me to play with to record what the CAM timing is set like right now. From reading Wayne's 101 Book, he suggests that on an 911SC Motor (930/10), the clearance must be set to .9mm to 1.1mm. I also looked at Bruce Anderson's book and he is suggesting 1.4mm to 1.7mm. So I've emailed Bruce to find out what he thinks the setting should be for this. Wayne, can you shed some opinions on this too? My Engine appears to be the following;

Eng. Type 930/08
Eng# 6308643

Also, can you guys let me know what the implications of messing with the CAM timing is? Stu thinks that it will add a whole heap of performance if tuned correcly to specifications, but I am really unsure as to what the pros and cons are? Stu know what he's doing, but I really don't get it. I'm hoping to have a well balanced setting that will be good for street and the occasional DE/AX event.

Anyhoo, I'll keep you guys posted on how things are going in the next phase of my upgrades.

Cheers,

.Steven
1980 911SC
Old 02-02-2004, 01:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)