View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by Ho Hum 74
Evan,

While the G50 is a nice 'box', why update? Every G50 I've driven is really long between gears. A solid 915 with an updated short shifter should provide better performance. Of course I've only driven the 964 G50 so I don't know if your ring and pinion is different in the one you're going to install.

PS. Nice looking car.

Tristan
Hmm...a gearbox cannot provide "perfomance", just adequate gearing. A "solid" 915 will provide good-to-average shifting...for 10000 miles (give or take, depending on driving style), after that shift feel will gradually decline into "crap"-teritory until it needs (expensive) rebuild, much sooner than equally treated G50 ever will.

915 is a bad transmission compared to G50. It's synchromesh is of inferior design and it cannot cope much torque in case you go turbocharging (Juan Ruiz still uses his G50!!?!). Given the financial means, I don't see any logical reason to keep 915 in the car other than purely nostalgical factor. You cannot fight the progress.

Last edited by beepbeep; 02-02-2004 at 06:55 AM..
Old 02-02-2004, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)