Thread: What to build?
View Single Post
Somewhere in the Midwest

Ok..talk a keeping..

As has been stated time over time, a 74.5-77 911 makes a perfect candidate for a backdate. You'll have an early 911 with a galvanized tub! While backdating you can toss all the parts that you don't need and lighten the car to gain some HP/lbs advantage. There are some things on a an SC that did not come on our cars, but we don't really need them. There is talk that those SC "things" make the SC heavier than our cars, but I don't know that an SC can't be stripped to a car that is as light as our mid-decades can be.

Anyway, since our cars have such a bad reputation, a backdate is actually an upgrade (value added). Even if you still have a 2.7, one that has been sorted, the lightened car should still be a blast.

I've sold off some of the parts that came off my car, but I wish I could have piled it all on a scale and tell you how much it all weighed. Stuff you don't think of when you consider the total weight of the car, i.e. rubber trim nuts and screws, bumper shocks, bumper pads (9 lbs each on my scale!), lenses, brackets, washer fluid tank, plastic trim, under coating, crud from years of road use, rubber lines, etc,..

I wish I had weighed my car before I started to strip it.
Old 02-02-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)