View Single Post
Administrator

There are two 2.7 motors. One was the one used in the 1973 Carrera RS and the Euro Carrera of 74 (and 75?). It's a 210 hp motor, with mechanical fuel injection, and is something of a legend among Porsche powerplants. Then there's also the 2.7-liter motor that was used in the US-market cars from 1974-1977. It had CIS injection (called K Jetronic), and produced less power (150, 165, or 175 hp, depending on the model) than its famous predecessor. After 1975, US emissions laws forced Porsche to put thermal reactors on the 2.7, which pushed the already-stressed magnesium toward overheating. Headstuds tended to pull out of the soft magnesium.

A properly rebuilt US 2.7 is a very good engine, but it's not the same as an RS-spec 2.7, which had a different case (I'm pretty sure), and a number of other unique features. Hopefully, someone with more knowledge about this will correct me if I'm wrong.

MFI is the fuel injection system famous for its throttle reponse. Later schemes were less crisp, generally, but more emissions-friendly.

Last edited by Jack Olsen; 02-02-2004 at 09:12 PM..
Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)