View Single Post

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to tmctguer
i would be interested in knowing what your objectives are for this project? are you seeing high oil temps in day-to-day traffic? are you planning to track the car?

depending on the answers, you may not need to buy the fan and cut out the battery box. i left my battery box intact, and did not mount a fan. with the fan, i wouldn't have had sufficient room for my tire as it was turned, or when the suspension was under extreme load. i didn't want to cut out the battery box because i wanted to keep the car in its original configuration.

the reason i installed the cooler in the first place was to combat high temperatures at the track. my car is a stock 2.4 911E, and on hot track days, i would see oil temps of 220+. this was not good. after installing the oil cooler (sans fan), my oil temps dropped down to 200 - 205 on hot track days. as a side note, in order to improve air flow to the cooler while racing, i rigged my passenger side signal lamp wires so that i could do a quick disconnect of the turn signal assembly, remove the housing, and open the hole for add'l air flow.

by the way, on the street, i don't see anything above 180. so i chalked this project off as success. of the few mod's i've done to the car (SSI's, oil return lines, etc.), adding the oil cooler was the best project of them all. it took time, but i was amazed at how lines from a 80's P-car perfectly fit my '73. it wasn't cheap, but it was money well spent.

the only thing i can add to the photo's already posted are my battery box mounting solution (already emailed to you) and photos of how and where i drilled mounting bracket holes for the lines.
1993 Beck Spyder
2006 Ford GT (why I sold my Porsches)
Old 02-03-2004, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)