View Single Post

Three points: Oil dumped on a non-absorbant flat surface makes a big puddle or stream (since few surfaces are truly flat); a quart of oil makes a really big puddle or stream. You may have not leaked as much oil as it seems. The first time I installed a pulley end seal on a 911 engine I messed it up even with the correct factory tool. I managed to get it "cocked" with the inner lip and the "garter" spring awry. I fussed with it and got things straightened out but was concerned I'd damaged something so I pulled it and installed a new seal more carefully - no leak occurred. The important thing is not to despair and give up.

Replacing pulley seal with engine in car: Parking brake on, wheels chocked, transmission in gear, rear of engine jacked and blocked up to take load off rear engine mount. Remove belts, remove muffler, remove rear engine mount, remove rear sheet metal tray piece, (may also need to remove air pump and A/C bracket), remove console (bracket surrounding pulley on crank), and crank pulley.

Good luck, Jim
Old 02-16-2004, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)