View Single Post
canna change law physics

Garage
#1. No. It's just a papar gasket. Should only be one in the kit.

#2. There should be at least one at least for sealing. The shims help set the contact between the ring gear on the differential and the pinion gear on the thick shaft.

#3.No shimming with the differential. But, keep the same ring gear.

#4. The gearing on the 6 is a little shorter than the 4 and is set that way because the 6 has a higher rev limit. Unless you plan to have a 6500 rpm 4 cylinder, I'd stick with the 4 cylinder gearing.

Now from your pictures.

Most of the early boxes had the bolt. It's used for the 911 and the 914/6 acellerator linkage.

Yes, that is a factory diff!

If you can slide the synchband around in the dog teeth easily, it's done.

And those dogteeth are done. Don't look at the point, look at the missing scoop in the middle of each tooth.

On first gear, I would use a dremel to repoint both the dogteeth and the slider. I would take a straight file and make sure the area between the "splines" are straight. You can see a little mushrooming on the right side of each spline.

That bearing is the cheaper bearing to replace. If the balls are loose on the bearing with the smaller balls, it is about done.

Reverse looks ugly. Pick the better looking one and use.

That roll pin was from the the 914/6 tranny, which in it's tailshift configuration, has 1 internal roll pin. Was the 914/6 tranny sideshift converted? That is common. I did it to my 914/6.

James
Old 05-08-2004, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)