View Single Post

Thanks for all the help James.

I do actually have a 6500 rpm 4 banger - at least I think I do, so that's where I set the rev limiter! HD valve springs, rocker studs, elephant feet, ported, big valves. Seems happy up there and the torque curve seems to work. I'm playing with venturi sizes (may go down from 36 to 32mm) and that may change things.

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/901&915ratios.htm

I just had another look and interpret the gearing table as showing that the six actually has the same first gear, a significantly taller second, a slightly taller third (so much closer to its second than on a four), the same fourth, and a slightly shorter fifth. So, "closer ratios" once you get into tall second, and a little shorter/higher rpm in fifth. I'm running tires a bit smaller than stock, maybe use the six gearing with the four's fifth gear for highway use? This might not be necessary as the engine already seems to come 'on song' at about 85mph in 5th! Any thoughts?

Thanks for the dtailed input on the 'box.

It had already been converted to side-shift. I had hoped the broken roll pin was part of the original mech. or a legacy from the failure that necessitated the weld on the rear cover. (probably one and the same.)

When you refer to the scooping of the tooth - do you mean the way the point of the tooth is hollowed across the span of its point? How to describe? - If it were a peaked roof it has a badly sagging ridge, and it should have a straight one? I ask because they also could wear/hollow against the synchro, though the synchros seem - by design - to be getting the worst of that deal.

When you dremel the points - I presume they need to be the same length, and if the above is true, to have 'meat' to the tooth across its depth. Do you bother to level the teeth before repointing them (like sharpening a saw) or just carefully have at it with a stone in a dremel? I suppose they come somewhat prelevelled by grinding against the slider's teeth!

Thanks again, Dave.
pics at
http://www.syer.net
Old 05-09-2004, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)