View Single Post

All,

Dr. Curve is right that in order to gain substantially more RWHP, the displacement has to be increased. However I do take exception that just because the dyno only registered a (very) modest HP increase means that some of the modifications did not work. To the contrary, the objective results of the article conclude that:

1. The combination of a larger snorkel and a less restrictive air filter significantly reduce the air pressure in the air box thereby allowing for more air to be available under hard acceleration/throttle; and

2. The Laser exhaust (and this is something that no other exhaust has been able to do) flattened out the 6,000 rpm flat spot thereby improving the useable torque/HP.

In brief, the useable torque range is flatter and because more air is available on demand, the bike is more responsive. Robert Foster at FosterRAD is absolutely correct in this regard (BTW, this guys knows of what he speaks...he's done more dyno testing than all of us together). The dyno does not reveal everything. I too would like to extend an offer to Dr. Curve (or any naysayer) who cares to ride my bike...I live in Virginia outside of WDC.

I know this won't settle anything since I essentially wrote the same conclusions in my article, but I just wanted to restate some of the facts for those (foolish) people who don't subscribe to MCN...sorry I couldn't resist. BTW, I am trying to get approval to release the article and post it here for those that don't subscibe.

Regards,
Bill Shaw
armoredveh@aol.com
Old 05-20-2004, 03:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)