View Single Post

Hey, Doc!...

First of all, I always remove the stock exhausts from any BMW I buy... But my primary motivation for that is weight savings... Better sound is cool, and less backpressure is cooler, but it's really a weight savings thing for me...

Second, I also put a K&N air filter in any BMW I buy, because oiled filters work better [Which is why dirt bikes use them], and if you get a freer flowing exhaust, it's a good idea to free up the intake as well [Helps to keep the valve temps happy]...

Third, I removed the evap can from my RS, but just because BMW hung it on the side of the bike, and it was ugly as sin... The LT's is under where the topcase sits, so I left it... Out of sight, out of mind...

Fourth, I rode the very first K1200RS on the planet that had the prototype Rhine West chip in it [No rev limiter ]... Yes, it had a groovy smooth throttle response, and the idle was dead solid perfect [But I don't let my bikes idle anyway, except at stoplights... I turn them off], but I don't recall that HP was what we were looking for... BMW has to contend with the EPA, so their fuel maps are what their fuel maps are... They can only emit so much... As a result, throttle response is not what it could be... That being said, I never got one, because I was always perfectly happy with how mine worked [Knowing how to sync the TB's properly helps ]...

Finally, MCN and the good Doctor are right... You might like how your bikes "work" with the pipe/chip/induct mods, but if you want significant horsepower gains, you have to get inside the motor... And don't give me this "void the warranty" crud... Who hasn't gone over the warranty mileage on their BMW within the first couple of years? [My LT was out of warranty within 18 months]... After three years, it's gone anyway, right?... So, what are you waiting for?...

I've decided I want to set up a really powerfull oilhead motor [That's still reliable], so I bought a spare just for that purpose... We're going to take it completely apart, balance and blueprint it, port and polish the heads, dual spark 'em, get the correct cams, add a second oil cooler, make the throttle bodies twin injector with adjustable fuel mapping, and turbo and intercool it... THAT'S how you get really good HP and torque gains!...

Notice I didn't mention an aftermarket exhaust...

http://homepage.mac.com/pep27/PhotoAlbum1.html
Old 05-20-2004, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)