View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by BMW Atlanta
on that note,................a Turbo is a bolt on and is the most efficient power adder you can find. I would rather do a turbo then put high compression cylinders but the cost is prohibitive as well as the air cooling aspect to make it reliable and go like hell
Hey, Bobby... How much research have you done into turbos for an oilhead?... I found the old Luftmeister/RB Racing R1100RS, and have read just about everything I could get my hands on over the past year or so...

My partner Brian used to hold a few class records in MC drac racing from teams he's worked for, so the mechanical part of it is no problem, it's just the technical understanding we want to make sure we have down...

After spending nearly 12 months trying to figure out all the plumbing for a single turbo and not coming up with anything we liked, I stumbled on these very small Aerocharger units that are used for snowmobiles and personal watercraft motors of 600cc and less... They are really tiny: Just a bit bigger than tennis balls, and they are also self contained, so there isn't any oil plumbing to worry about... Not only that, but they have variable vanes, so there is no bypass valve needed... Very, very clean...

We are thinking now about just fabricating some adapter flanges and bolting one to the front of each cylinder... This would make the exhaust plumbing a cinch, since the outlet would be nearly the same as the header path for the R1100S/1150R headers... Fabricating the rest of an underseat deal would be very simple...

The compressed air would exit the turbos pointing right back to where the stock airbox is, which we'd replace with a two in/two out intercooler with ducting... The output would be in almost the same place as the airbox output is, pointing right at the throttle bodies... Super clean...

The motor we have for the project is an R1200C motor I bought last year, which we'd like to put R1100RS heads on that will be ported, polished, and twin sparked by SJBMW... Of all the cams for the oilhead, the original R1100RS cams seem like the ones that will work with the turbo the best... I'd like to get a set of the early "beta" heads with the larger valves [I don't want to tear up my R1100RS motor to get 'em, because the motor will take a long time, and I like riding the bike ]...

For the FI, we're thinking about an RB racing twin-injector system that would allow us to adjust the mapping for the turbo... We only plan to run a modest 5 PSI of boost, because what I'm looking for isn't high revs and huge HP, I want a torque-monster [Which is why I got the R1200C lump ]... The R1200C motor came with the two oil coolers [It was from a wreck], and we plan to work those into the oil lines for some additional cooling and oil capacity...

Other than balancing and blueprinting the motor, the only other thing we plan to do is throw the C's super-heavy flywheel in Brian's lathe and lighten it...

We're going to replace the R1100RS clutch with a ceramic clutch made for the R1100GS...

We plan to start work on this next winter... Sound like we're on the right track?...
http://homepage.mac.com/pep27/PhotoAlbum1.html
Old 05-20-2004, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)