View Single Post

Send a message via AIM to BMW Atlanta Send a message via Yahoo to BMW Atlanta
If you go with a larger oil cooler,........you will need a larger oil pan as well if you wish to monitor true oil levels. Not sure how you would accomplish that. My fear of adding an additional cooler would be you would not have any of the oil left on the bottom of the motor to suck up cause it would all be hiding in the extra coolers.

As for the vein turbos,........they would be boost limited so your expections sound realistic. The R1200C would need some higher compression and better cams for sure if you wish to get some good power out it. Otherwise you will be adding 6psi to a 61HP & 71lbs motor and netting marginal gains in my mind. At 6 psi you wouldnt have to necessarily intercool the system if you were sucking cold air. Intercooling becomes essential at 10+ psi or so. It would also be easier to intercool if you have a water cooled engine. Team Mettisse turbo'ed an S and I believe obtained 160HP out of it, that wouldnt be a good daily driver but the volumetric efficiency is kicking! I would definitely recommend some kind of aftermarket fuel injection with boost retard control and maybe a knock sensor. Haltec makes a great programable fuel management system, but it costs just over $1000 buck. A boost regulated fuel pressure system would also be nice as you will have the ability to dial in the bike better with less hassle and can optimize your injection system that way.

I was friends with the great late John Meyers who was the pro drag bike guy in 95-97 until he met a dear on his street bike in 98 or somewhere around there. I learned alot from him and he helped my car and I do wonderful things with turbos that left many scratching their heads.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)