View Single Post

Well Chris I hope this doesn't happen also. I put in hour and hours (happily) and broke a few parts in the process to get where the engine is about ready to go back in the car. Spent about 1500.00 and in the process took the transmission apart to inspect and replace any obvious worn parts.

The head gaskets blew because the studs and nuts lost their torque. The chain drive train was pretty worn. The mech chain tensioners were just barely holding on. My engine exibited NONE of the more dramatic and costly symptoms people talk about on this news group all the time. Everyting was quite prosaic, worn parts, missing gaskets, when the last overhaul was performed, thus causing leaking and smoking. I managed to get a set of used "e" pistons, which were in better shape than mine, re-ringed them, put in a newer oil pump, new bearings, a new valve. Right now I'm waiting for my machinest to bush my idler sprockets.

The reassembly has been just so smooth, the engine without any case work, except for the oil bypass modification has bolted up like butter. Squeezout is uniform. My guess is that when I finish the whole thing will most likely give years of trouble and hopefully leak-free service.

The UPS man is convinced that this is all therapy for me but I keep insisting that its just to get a great running sexy car for a low price.
Old 05-24-2004, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)