View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by RC51DRAG
I have a question. If your BMW's are so poorly running in stock form then why buy one? I hate to be cheeky but I have a hard time understanding the big modification craze that seems to permeate throughout the motorcycling community. Having ridden many R1100S models thanks to kind friends and never noticed the poor fueling situations some of you are referring to. Also having ridden a stock model at the track I can say that it certainly isn't underpowered. The only bike I have modded has been my RC51 and only for racing purposes. Otherwise I would have left it stock, especially for the street. Most riders on the street don't use over 100 hp. I have usually used a 500 c.c. bike making 45 bhp for the street and had no issues.

Having read the article I would think that you guys/gals may find the recent article in SR of interest. It involves the tire dimensions and how they can affect dyno readings. Dyno tests while of some interest aren't everything as some have said here. I don't want to get into the obvious personality differences between Dr. Curve and many of you but I think if you read his initial post all he is doing is saying that alot of mods don't give you much.

Due to a seized bearing in my RC51 I had to get the motor redone under warranty. I decided at that time to get the motor work done. This was a $12,000.00 Canadian job that I got for $7,000.00. This included HRC HC pistons, port/polish, cams, full race exhuast, etc. All of this gave me a gain of less than 20 hp. On the track it was great but on the street it was unruly. It required more maintenance and was a tempermental b*tch. I'm not saying the Mfg's are perfect and that the fueling is perfect. We all know they keep them lean in order to get through emissions but I do think some of the claimed gains here are ridiculous.
I make mods to my bikes because it's fun, mostly... And, my goal is primarily weight reduction, which results in far more performance gains vis-a-vis sporty riding than a few HP does... Of course, the removal of the stock exhaust is one of the easiest ways to get rid of weight, so that's one of the first things I do... Adding 0HP and reducing weight by 15 pounds with an aftermarket exhaust and a K&N is really quite a good deal in my book... My LT is circa 50 pounds lighter than stock [Soon to be about 80 pounds lighter] and my RS about the same... I can tell you the weight reduction makes a huge difference in both cases... Of course, BMW's stock suspension is OK, and I never replace the stock shocks until they have served their life expectancy, but once they have, handling and ride improvements over the stock units are available through the aftermarket... I always do this as well... You won't find any chips in my bikes though, as they might result in a smoother throttle, but often the fuel mileage suffers... I know several K1200LT and K1200RS owners who have chipped their bikes and then gone back to the stock settup for this very reason...

Of course, I'm putting a K1200RS motor/Motronic chip in my LT, and that's not a smoke-and-mirrors gain there... Thirty HP at the crank is nothing to sneer at [Though, spending a couple of grand on a new motor and having the bike completely apart for several months may be ]... And then I'm building up an R1200C motor for the RS, which is going to be far more ridiculous money wise, but the HP gains will be real with ported and twin sparked Beta heads, RT cams, twin injector TB's, and the turbos...

A guy on another board that has a forum for mechanics said it best: "Sometimes the adventure is 'inside' the bike."...

http://homepage.mac.com/pep27/PhotoAlbum1.html
Old 05-28-2004, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)