View Single Post
Ornery Bastard

The things about timing belts that no-one realises:

They are a cheaper and easier way to add overhead cams to an engine because the engineers to not have to devise an oiling system.

They are quieter than timing chains (in the early 1980's when Porsche developed the original 944/924S/968 engine they were _vastly_ quieter than chains).

They transmit less vibration into the valvetrain than chains and far less than gears.

While people seem to complain about the timing belt on these cars a lot, it's not significantly more expensive to replace the timing belt on my '87 924S than it was to replace the timing belt on my '88 Honda. Yes, the Honda's belt was spec-ed for 60,000 miles instead of 30,000 miles, but the Honda also has a less aggressive cam profile and therefore puts less strain on the belt.

Like anything else, take care of it and you'll be fine. I understand the worry about the belts, but these cars are no worse than any other interferance engine that uses a timing belt.
Guards Red 1986 951 <- Seattle car (Gretchen)
White 1976 914 2.0 F.I. <- Prodigal car, traded away then brought back again (Lorelei)
Old 06-11-2004, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)