View Single Post

Thanks for all the replies. But one thing to consider is this, sometimes people do not have an extra three to seven thousand to tear the entire motor apart for a daily driver. Especially when everyone around them is telling them how worthless the 2.7 is to rebuild on. My situation is simple, I don't have the money to do it right and I would rather save up for a aluminum case and do it right with that better foundation in the future whenmoney affords.

Until then I need to repair two pulled studs so I can drive to work for the next year, oil leaks and all. I am sure I am not the only guy who could use a quick fix, so I figured out a way to do it myself.

Here's what you do.
1. You pull off the cylinder and take off the piston.
2. Build a jig of 4 tubes slightly shorter than the head studs. The tubes should be square and side braced.
3. One of the tubes is short near the case to allow for the drill bit and tap.
4. You pull out the stud where you have a pulled one. Put on the tool drill out the case and tap it. The tool if made properly will hold the drill and tap perfectly square.
5. Put in the case saver and move on to the next one.

The tool should cost less than twenty bucks to make if you can weld.

Yeah is sucks to do a job like this and this way but sometimes it is the only option.

I did find a local to sell me the case savers.
They come from a place called Winzer USA.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)