View Single Post
Slumlord

This is worse than I thought, only a leak in the case joint could be worse. My ovality is more than I thought. I measured the gap between the crank and the case in four positions, data is below;

12 o'clock - 0.399"
3 o'clock - 0.390"
6 o'clock - 0.394"
9 o'clock - 0.393"

The crank measures (by vernier only, no room for micrometer) 2.558", which is 64.97 m, so I think this is standard, not undersized.

So, that means my case dimension vertically is 3.351", horizontally it is 3.341, so I'm 0.010" oval.

I guess the seal is squeezed oval (side-to-side) and this causes the lip to open top-to-bottom, which is how the oil appeared to be leaking out, ie at the bottom of the crank on the lip.

Repair method to salvage a lot of work? I'm planning to put the engine on my boring mill and machine the case round relative to the crank. This should leave me with a bore of .400" all around the crank, that works out to a diameter of 3.358" or 85.3 mm, so I am 0.3 mm oversize and I might need thin sleeve in the case to get the seal tight enough on the O.D.

Anybody got any other bright ideas? I don't lack any tools.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)