View Single Post

I went thru this on my rebuild. The lip arround the crank had a gap.
I chalked it up to an installation problem. Using Wayne's book the method is to put the seal on the crank, then install the crank all before mating the halfs. I suspected that while watching everything else during mating, I must not have noticed that the seal must have been tweeked or defective. (It looked fine when I slid it on the crank.) I pulled and replaced that seal. I have a very small leak now. The engine is out again because I'm restoring the rest of the car. I have a new seal ready to try again.

I like the idea of measuring for ovality, but I'm not sure I can do it. I have a dial bore gauge, but that won't go because of the crank. Are calipers the only way to do this?

One question. While installing the seal, how deep in the recess should it be pressed. I had a debate on this with a freind. He drove his in so the face was even with the inner part of the bevel at the outside end of the recess. I drove mine in all the way which I guess (It's been a while.) was about 1/8" inside the bevel. The sealing area on the crank is pretty wide and looks/feels in good shape.

PBH, I guess you can confirm that the OD of the recess is not tapered.

So what is the correct depth to install the seal? Drive it in a little past the bevel or drive it home?
I'll go back and look at your picture as well.
Any help is appreciated. I want to do this right one more time before I start looking for case problems.
Mine's an 82 SC case. As far as I know it's a virgin.

I've installed the restrictors as well. I have also wondered if this in itself may lead to leaks.

I had another leak following the rebuild which turned out to be a return tube o-ring that split across. This was a green o-ring if that matters.
The split tube replacement tubes have been dry so far.
Thanks! Great work and impressive tools!
83 ROW CAB Rubinrot Metallic (RIP)
Old 07-06-2004, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)