View Single Post

Newbie Questions- Leaks & Seals

Hi All!

I am the new owner of a '72T and am looking forward to trying out a 911 for a change from my Tiumph TR8. While the 911 runs well it leaks tremendously from every typical spot. I am going to pull the motor & trans & reseal everything short of splitting the cases. This brings me to my questions.

Do 911's use valve seals? The motor runs great but blows a fair bit of blue smoke on a hard overrun. My thought was valve seals. It puffs just a bit on start up but not during normal or even hard driving. Only on a hard overrun, throttle full off & in gear. Occasionally a small puff between shifts noticeableonly if I am observing from outside the car. Since I am going to install 'E' cams & have to shim the valve springs to spec anyhow I thought seal replacement would be good as well. Has anyone used one of the compact "on the motor" valve spring compressors with success? If I can get the compressor arms on the spring at the top I figured i could "screw" it down into the valve spring counterbore to effect the compression.

My second question is can the cases be split without head removal? I have a localized leak of the case joint. If not I am thinking of trying to seal the leak without splitting the cases. I have done little research on wicking sealers & the plan is this:

Since the motor is out of the car turn it over. Clean it (and the entire motor) throroughly with solvents. Draw a vacuum in the crankcase and hose down the leak area under vacuum with solvent which should remove oil from the leak path. (The motor will be flushed before restarting and this will likely be a very small amount of solvent). Allow all to dry under vacuum. Apply wicking sealant to the leak area with the crankcase under vacuum, let dry, repeatedly. Then pressurize the crankcase & check leak area with gas line leak detector.

Yeah, I know I am crazy, but I have done a lot of things that "can't be done". I would settle for a once a week drip as opposed to a couple drips a day.

If any knowledgeable list members live near Akron, Ohio look me up.

Thanks,

Bill McCauley
triplesn8s@neo.rr.com
'78 TR8
'75 Jensen Healy
'00 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
Old 07-19-2004, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)