View Single Post
JOT MON ABBR OTH

Welcome Aboard!

I would suggest copies (purchased from our host) of the 101 book, engine re-build manual, and the Haynes (I'm going to be flamed for that one ).

911's do use valve seals. This might be the cause for the smoke. I do not know if you know how to check oil in a 911 but you need to allow the motor to warm up, park on a level surface, and check the oil level with the dip stick while the motor is warm and running. The guage in the dash is just for show. Too much oil in the car can also cause smoking. My valve guides were on the high side of the spec at the re-build and I left them. They are my most likely culprit for smoking on start-up when cold.

If you are going to redo the cams I would suggest taking off the entire valve train and inspecting the valves for wear. This will expose the Pistons and Sleeves and allow for inspection without removal. Be sure to keep your motor covered so no dust or dirt or little buggies can get in it...

My understanding is that you should remove everything if you are going to split the case.

If memory serves, others have not had much luck with wicking sealant. FWIW.

There are several anciliary parts on the top of the case that should be replaced (oil pressure sending unit) and many locations with seals that might have gone bad over time. This is a fairly inexpensive set of fixes and I would highly recommend it.

Best of luck,
I don't take scalps. I'm civilized like white man now, I shoot man in back.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)