Thread: Mfi ???
View Single Post

Stuart,

Iím assuming the carbs are out of the picture because of the cost of linkage, manifolds, air filter assemble, etc.

Iím also assuming the í73 2.4T was a MFI engine originally and not a í73 Ĺ CIS engine. The MFI engine has threaded holes in the intake runners for the nozzles.

Here would be my first choice:
Replace the T cams with the E cams.
Find a matching 2.2E piston & cylinder and install the E cylinders on the 2.4. (It will still be 2341 cc but higher compression.)
Install the 2.2E MFI on the 2.4. The pump is capable of being suitably adjusted.

This represents a lot of work and I wouldnít want to chance a bearing failure. I would disassemble the bottom end (crank & rods), do the recommended upgrades, bring the heads back to new condition (valve job, and guides if necessary), and whatever else necessary. Check the bore ID of the 2.2E throttle bodies to the 2.4T head intake ports and match the diameters.

You will have a nice 2.4 911E with higher compression. A great road 911; fast and reasonable mileage.

I think the least expensive route is to find a complete used set of carburetors and intake from a 2.0T or 2.2T for the 2.4 engine. Also, you can buy just the parts you need from PMO:
http://www.pmocarb.com/

I wouldnít recommend just putting the 911E MFI on the 2.4T engine. You will never get it to run properly and there isnít provision for the pump drive on the left (1-2-3) T cam. Definitely donít install the E cams with the T pistons without careful checking of piston-to-valve clearances.

Is there a good MFI engine available?

Best,
Grady
Answers (correct) - - - - - - - - - - $12.50
Old 08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)