Thread: The Damage Toll
View Single Post
Burn the fire.

Garage
Unhappy The Damage Toll

Well, i got it all apart. Transmission is back about 5 inches, CV's disconnected, bellhousing detached, driveshaft detached.

Then i got the clutch, pressure plate/friction disc and release bearing out. Right as i took it out, i got some nice shrapnel in my face. So, I could see the driveshaft now and it's a bit oblong on the tip, not gouged out nearly as bad as my last one but still out of spec for how it's supposed to be. I also examined the shrapnel that fell into my face. it was severely warped and shredded inner part of the pilot bearing. Feeling in where the pilot bearing is (still lodged) i can see the outer part is still present and worn down. none of the rollers are there (bad sign).

So, seeing as i more then likely am looking at a new driveshaft and pilot bearing ($700 at least) what's the verdict? Keep? Sell? Part out? Looking for opinions and suggestions. I originally bought the car for $250 and have since then invested another $1500... close to $2000 total in this car (including small things).

Also, i was wrong about the bellhousing being loose. In fact, everything on the drivetrain was torqued to spec, it just appeared as the bellhousing was off and such. I examined the bellhousing and it's machined with a gap in certain areas between it and the engine. Durh, ima retard.

I'll try to snap some pics tomorrow. Clutch disk was pretty worn down (almost to the rivets that hold it together) but still usable. Compared to new clutch though, looks in bad shape.

Well, that be that. I'm still quite depressed and not sure what im going to do exactly... All opinions apprecieated.

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-07-2004, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)