Thread: The Damage Toll
View Single Post
Burn the fire.

Garage
So here's the addendum...

After some speculation with ken (fellow 924 restorer) we came to a few conclusions that would cause the driveshaft and pilot bearing to fail yet again.

I had been told what originally was the cause of the problem was the release bearing ("throwout bearing"). Further investigation shows that the release bearing does not in any way come into contact with the driveshaft. It sits around a 'sleeve' on the torque tube then when engaged. Still could not become a cause as far as i know for the driveshaft and bearing to come out of alignment at all.

The next thought was maybe that the driveshaft was not seated straight into the pilot bearing. Sitting at an angle would cause uneven wear or pressure, eventually eating it's way through the inner race of bearing and wearing down the driveshaft yet again. Causes could be that the part of the torquetube that bolts into the bellhousing (4 bolts) maybe requires proper alignment before fully attaching it? The bellhousing as well? It seemed to me that it bolted on exactly without play but i'm still unsure.

Another thought, was that the transmission was maybe out of alignment at the rear of the car. Seeing as the driveshaft has to be near-perfectly aligned on the centerline of the car, if it were out of alignment would it not cause the driveshaft to be improperly seated? It 'looked' like it was properly in place before i took it apart so i'm unsure again.

Any speculation or other ideas are welcomed.. I'm more concerned with what would cause a second failure of driveshaft and pilot bearing with both being new parts.

Oh yeah, expect another parts fest soon and thanks for your opinions

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 08-08-2004, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)