View Single Post

As long as the timing mark on the cam gear is lined up correctly, the valves should not contact the pistons anywhere within the cam adjustment range. The only thing that will happen if your cam timing is slightly off, is you won't be able to get 100% power out of it. you might get 96-98% or something like that.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to turn the engine over at least 2 full revolutions by hand, feeling for anything binding or hitting. This also "seats" the belt. Make sure the timing mark is still lined up properly after turning 2 revolutions, and re-check the belt tension after the belt "seats". Always turn the engine in the direction of rotation, which is clockwise when standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, CCW from the driver's point of view.

I always turn the engine around a few times by hand after making any tension adjustments, and recheck. I also start the car up with the belt cover off, let it run for 30 sec or so, then recheck the tension, but then again i'm A.R. about getting stuff exactly perfect.

'92 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
Old 08-12-2004, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)