View Single Post

Garage
You can save significantly on the paint job if you do much of the prepiaration on your own.. remove all mirrors, spoilers, block sand the body, etc. The less the painter needs to do, the lower the cost.

IMHO, Restoring a Porsche is really not that much more expensive than doing an MG or Jag... parts are 3 times as expensive and much of the mechanicals are beyond us "shade tree" mechanics... but, if you can reuse & recondition many of the parts, you will save $$$. Since the post '80 Porsche's use galvanized steel, rust is not an issue (except under the battery), so the body work can actually be cheaper than other marques! I have close to 40k in one of my British car restorations... and 20k into a morris mini... so price depends upon the level of restoration, rather than the vehicle.

My 944 will be a "cheap" restoration, it will drive great, look like new... for under $10k. But there will be areas that are not original... in a concourse restoration, the cost comes in finding original equipment and restoring that to concourse condition..
Old 08-13-2004, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)