View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldi
Yes a 911 motor should not leak if its done right. But define "Done right". 99% of the people out there having their motors rebuild, will take an old, higher mileage twisted up case, wash it, razor blade all of the sealant off, have some machine shop stroke through the main housing once or twice with a honing bar and gun it back together.
Agreed. However, hopefully the total number of people doing this is much less than 99% these days, primarily because I tell everyone in my book that these mag cases need to be 'remachined' to whole again when rebuilt.

Quote:
Originally posted by garibaldi
So if you guys all are going to argue about budgets and time and leaving things out, and going to the "Extreme" on you rebuild, knock yourself out, why bother with doing any of it. But if you are going to do it right, then you shoudl budget accordingly, and at least have an understanding as to why you should do one thing over another and plan on confronting and approaching these issues with the motor while you have it apart.
I agree. I tell people not to bother rebuilding their engine if they are going to do it half-assed. However, as you know, it's an uphill battle. No matter how many times you tell people (based on the collective experience of many people), people will doubt you and attempt to take shortcuts. The forums archives are scattered with these tales - one should do a careful search before deciding which shortcut to take...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 08-18-2004, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)