View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by DonE
What the hell do you guys want us to do? Who do we listen to? I'm ready to sell the whole damn thing...
Well, at the risk of sounding like an egotist, you should listen to me! Seriously, the book has been compiled from many different engine builder's opinions around the country (Walt, Bruce, Jerry, Tom W., etc.) and compiled into a format that combines all of that information. It sounds like Christian and I are in complete agreement (I'm still nervous about recommending the pulling of the plugs, because I feel there's room for error from the shop) on just about everything.

Shufflepin = no on the aluminum cases. The guy who told you that doesn't really know. In fact, Jerry Woods told me that if you shufflepin them, then they may be too stiff and actually break main bearing ribs under huge loads.

The guy trying to sell you his heads - well, I'll let you figure that one out for yourself.

Be aware of the small shop mechanic - he is your best and worst friend. Ask him some of the questions covered in the book, and see if he really knows what he's talking about.

As for the rockers - I would definitely have them redone. Ask Webcam or Elgin for advice, I'm sure they'll say the same thing. They might not even warranty their camshaft for you if you don't.

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 08-18-2004, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)