View Single Post

Two exact cars with with diff. top speeds simply means that the car with higher top speed has a longer top gear (or final drive)
Courses (like superspeedways) will benefit from a longer top gear, but most courses don't have a long enough straightaway to hit your top speed (esp. when you are talking abt top speeds of 170 or 180) therefore a longer top gear will only hurt your lap times cause of the decrease in accelaration. Though I do believe the Nurburgring has 2 really long straighaways where a longer top gear might actually be beneficial but the course is still 13 miles (22 kms) long consisting of MANY slow and medium corners therefore gear ratios set-up for accelaration would still be beneficial.
I really DOUBT that the 997 is getting better lap times simply cause is a has a higher top speed. Also the higher top speed is most likely achieved due to an increase in power and aerodynamic efficiency therefore this increase in "top speed" is affecting all aspects of driving the car. I think the decrease in lap times is a result of small improvements everywhere (pure power, grip, aerodynamics, brakes, etc.) which ultimately also makes for a higher top speed.

Also, I believe the original thread you intended to reply to is this Walter Rohrl laps the 'Ring in a 997S

944 Turbo 5-spd, Black, 1987-present
70k miles

Last edited by dj_yen; 08-20-2004 at 09:03 PM..
Old 08-20-2004, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)