View Single Post

Cliff:

I agree that aggressive cleaning will help, but (and I did live in the rust belt for years!!) the problem is the places one cannot clean; box areas, seams, etc, where liquids "wick" into. When I was restoring cars back in the 80s and early 90s, I went through gallons of a material that changed Fe2O3 (red rust) to Fe3O4 (black rust). Product name: "EXTEND". Pumped it into stub frames, door seams, fender seams, etc. It had to be sealed with paint afterward since it was water soluable; used two part epoxy thinned to get into the seams. Worked reasonably well, but the high dampness and winters even off the road and under cover will eventually turn any non galvanized steel to dust.

In the Winters back there, I actually saw cars in a so-called "dry" garage on a day when the outside temp got up a few degrees higher than the inside temp of the garage, have moisture halfway up the body like a glass of iced tea on a humid summer day.

Hopefully, in NC your winters are a bit less severe than along the lovely shores of Lake Ontario!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)