View Single Post

The cylinders I have do have the groove. They are brand new Mahle cylinders and Pistons, that are made just like the ones on the 91-94 turbo except they don't have the drilled and tapped hole for the knock sensors. We reinstalled the cylinders last night with the o-rings in the grooves, along with some curil-T, and we also treated the copper base gaskets with K&W Copper Coat.

Hope this answers the questions.

For 930 owners - if you are upgrading to Fully Finned Cylinders from Mahle, make sure you use the 999-707-152-40 o-rings with them, if the cylinders have the o-ring groove cut ino the bottom of the cylinder.

Mahle says they aren't required, but if you look at how the copper gasket fits agains the base of the cylinder, you will see that there is not alot there for it to "grab" onto. I'd say use the o-rings. Unfornately I didn't know this and its costing me about another $500 to get another gasket kit, head gaskets for those cylinders, etc.

AND, these cylinders require a 1mm head gasket as well. basically a 1mm shim that sits on top of the cylinder (stainless steel I think).

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930

Last edited by briankeithsmith; 08-26-2004 at 04:15 AM..
Old 08-25-2004, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)