View Single Post

I was following Waynes book. Fortunately I have learned at the cost of the corner of one cylinder fin that Wayne's book is far from a comprehensive reference or "How-To" manual. Purchasers of this book be warned. I am going to proceed with much greater caution, book or no.

I was following his book with the exception that I did not want to remove the heads. Nowhere in the head removal instructions did it mention 18 bolts holding the cam housing on the cylinder heads with 6 hidden under the rocker arms. His head disassembly instructions amounted to "take it to a shop".

I found the other 6 bolts in the torque diagram of the assembly area of the book.

I strongly recommend that Wayne add the following sentence to the "Head Removal" section in the next printing of his book, "If you remove the cam housings only from the cylinder heads there are 18 bolts holding the cam housing to the head, 6 of them under the rocker arms."

I will bet my paycheck I am not the only guy to fall into this one.

Thanks for the backup guys. You would have saved me.

Bill
'78 TR8
'75 Jensen Healy
'00 Triumph Sprint ST 955i
Old 08-25-2004, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)