View Single Post

Garage
Excellent - I just did this (bought a 2.2 long block and rebuilt is so I could continue driving my 70 911T) and fired my rebuild up yesterday. See pics below. Was bone dry excempt for drip from oil filter console. 34 year old o-ring was hard and flat. Used some cork gasket material to fabricate a temporarary replacement. Ran strong, sounded louder, smelled new.

I bought my long block from a nice fellow out in Wash or Oregan, I'm in Houston. I had already purchased a set of P&C a few years back in preparation. Machine work at EBS, used SSIs, lot's of parts from Pelican, some borrowed tools, some purchased tools like the yoke. Worked on it for over a year just like Grady recommends above. Last couple of weeks, I would just sit in the garage and look at it on the floor mounted with the tranny running back through my mind all of the steps to ensure it was done right. It took a few trys moving the distributor to get it to start, at first it popped & puttered, then it caught and sounded awsome. I loved the 20 minute initial run. Did a jig and grinned like a fool. Can't wait to get home tonight for the next breakin drive.

PS: Now I've got a 2.2 long block (from a running car) ready for someone to buy and rebuild. Various other parts to list later.

Old 08-30-2004, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)