View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally posted by 3.2 CAB
Hi David, I think we might be talking about different oil lines. The line I am talking about is the one that is about 1" around, it runs from the engine mounted oil cooler under the engine around the front of the right side chain cover a couple of inches or so from the bottom of the cover, it even has a little mounting braket that holds it to the cover. It then follows the right rear inner fender well and then under the right side rocker panel to the front oil cooler. I took the little bracket off, but it only moves about 1/4" away from the face of the cover, not enough to get the cover off far enough to clear the studs in the chain housing. I am still trying to figure how to get it out of the way.
Your description is a bit off. The only hose that connects to the oil cooler is a rubber S-hose (page 28 photo #3). No oil lines go from the engine to the front mounted oil cooler - they all go to the thermostat first (unless someone put something else in your car). When you say the front of the chain cover, I'm guessing you mean the rear of the engine?

Either way, look at page 27 of 101 Projects, photo #2. The line runs underneath the chain housing cover, and should be able to be removed without removing the oil line. However, they did change the line in 1984, and I can't recall off the top of my head whether the new one gets in the way. Either way, it sounds like you simply need to remove that oil line...

-Wayne
SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)
Old 09-04-2004, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)