View Single Post

Quote:
Originally posted by larry47us
JP:

So, what is your view of putting it up on stands and letting it "idle forward" with the car in gear for some time. Won't that warm up the tranny? Then the only thing not moving will be the front wheels.

If I just let it sit untouched over winter, what is the potential damage to the seals from drying out?

Larry
I still don't think it will get up to full operating temperature since there won't be much of a load on the engine or tranny. Of course a rolling road (dyno) would probably be ok. ;-)

I haven't had any leaks with my Carrera but my 450SL front tranny seal leaks a few ounces during winter storage. A few long trips in the spring makes the leak stop until the next winter storage.

Running your engine in place may help your seals (maybe not) but may do harm to internal components such as rings and bearings. You need enough heat to burn off the moisture.

I'm by no means an expert on this, I'm just giving advice based on my own personal experiences.

Last edited by rzepko6194; 09-18-2004 at 07:44 AM..
Old 09-18-2004, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)