Thread: Engine Runs!!!!
View Single Post

Well, it wasn't leaking from the top side, and it wasn't leaking from the sides as all, it it appeard to be dripping from the small cutout in the tranny at the bottom where it mates with the engine.

So, we had to pull the engine anyway, because of the cylinder base gasket fiasco I encountered, and when we did we could easily see that it was leaking from the flywheel seal. So I asked about different approaches, since I had used Waynes Curil-T approach the first time. The second time was used a thin layer of aviation sealant. It appears though to be leaking between the crankshaft and the seal, not the crankcase and the seal.

I'm guessing the reason for this is that I had my crank polished, and when they polished it they polished the area where the flywheel seal rests. So I'm guessing that is the reason. It is diminishing though over time, and once the engine gets good and warm (like at the track) no leakage whatsoever.

But when it is cold, it does leak.

BUT, its certainly not bothering me enough at this point. I'll wait until I have to pull the engine again to address it.

I would drive it a little, if it isn't bad. It may get better. I didn't think mine would get better, but it has.

Brian
My Track Videos
TEC3 EFI Conversion on 1983 930
Old 10-03-2004, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)