View Single Post

Angry Trick to gettings seals to seal?

After a couple of weeks of driving, my 73S 2.4 has developed a couple of small leaks. I won't know for sure until I pull the engine again, but one appears to be from the pulley seal, and the other from the flywheel seal. Everything else seems pretty oil-tight.

Are there any tricks to getting these seals to seal? I followed the basic procedures and both went in without any drama, so what's up? As an additional note, my 120k miles engine was previously leaking (draining is a better word) everywhere, and most of the seals and hoses were crumbling piles of ash - but both of these seals were in good shape...as if they (alone) had been somewhat recently replaced?

Do these seals always leak or are they at least chronic leakers? Am I facing a losing battle, so I should just live with the drips? For reference, after 20 minutes of spirited driving down the canyon, and with the engine up to full temp, the flywhee seal will leak, oh, a dozen or so drips over the course of an eight hour day in the parking lot. The pulley seal will leak maybe four or five. Is this as good as I am likely to get? I don't relish pulling the engine again, but it's only a two-hour job each way, and I still have the borrowed hoist and stand/yoke, so it's not insurmountable.

Thanks,
Brian

73 911S Targa
Signal Yellow "Lemondrop"
This car rocks
Old 10-05-2004, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)