Thread: 3.0 -> 3.?
View Single Post
Doesn't want/need a 3.6L

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Verburg
and the advantage of doing all this over starting w/ a 964 or 993 which has knock sensors and twin ignition stock would be.....?
Good point Bill. The newer motors have many advantages and should be considered. The wild card is cost and keeping your fingers crossed that the used 3.6L you bought will actually last 125K+. What's the point of transplanting a 3.6L with 50K-75K on the clock and then it needs to come apart 5K-10K later due to a problem? You're right back where you started. I saw just as many 3.6L heads at Ollie's being fitted for new guides as 3.0L and 3.2L heads. They have their share of issues as well. I can afford to do one rebuild and spend some money, but I couldn't afford to buy an expensive used 3.6L motor, not get much for my 3.2L core with bad guides and then potentially have to rebuild it again sooner rather then later.

Don't get me wrong, I would love a 3.6L Varioram with all of the bells and whistles and then tear it down and rebuild it for longevity. But I can't. I'm comfortable with the 3.5L conversion and the money I've spent.

Different strokes for different folks...

Ralph

2008 Cayman S (coming soon)
Old 10-17-2004, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)