View Single Post

Factory wrist pin clip installer is the bees knees!

I bought the factory P9500 piston wrist pin clip installer tool the other day and I just got around to using it last week. It makes installing the thicker wrist pin clips very easy. I realize some of you don't have any problem installing wrist pin clips and even I don't have a problem with the thinner kind like the factory 3.2's and earlier use. The ones that the 964 use are much stiffer and frustrating. I just measured some and the factory clips for the 3.2 are 1.4mm thick and the 964 (and the ones I get with JE pistons) are 1.7mm thick.

Here's the tool. You actually have to order two part #'s to get this. EDIT: I checked and you only have to order one part # (000 721 950 00)

You put the clip in the "back" with your finger and shove it to the other end using the fat end of the "pusher" tool until it snaps into position at the "front" end.

You flip the "pusher" around like this to install the clip. The end of the plunger fits into the wrist pin to locate everything. You actually need to put the outer part of the tool against the piston before inserting the pusher.

Hold the outer part of the tool up against the piston and give the pusher a couple wacks and the clip snaps into place.

I've only used it with 964 pistons. I checked and it won't work with some 98mm JE pistons I have.

I paid about $75 for the tool but it was worth it.

-Chris

Last edited by ChrisBennet; 10-27-2004 at 08:54 PM..
Old 10-27-2004, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)